Unit 2, Lesson 4: Dilations on a Square Grid
- Ms. Espy
4.1: Estimating a Scale Factor
Point C is the dilation of point B with center of dilation A and scale factor s. Estimate s and explain your reasoning on your paper.
4.2 Dilations on a Grid
- Dilate quadrilateral ABCD with center P and scale factor 2.
- On your paper, explain the relationship between the pre-image and image. Include these words in your explanation:
- Dilate triangle QRS with center T and scale factor 2.
- Dilate triangle QRS with center T and scale factor 1/2.
- On your paper, explain the difference between dilating with a scale factor greater than 1 and dilating with a scale factor less than 1. Use the following words in your explanation:
4.3 Dilations on a Coordinate Grid Directions
- On your paper, guess the quadrant for point E' after a dilation with center Q at (-3, 4) and a scale factor of 2. Explain why you guessed that quadrant.
- Dilate trapezoid CDEF with center Q at (-3, 4) and scale factor 2.
- Explain on your paper why your guess was correct or incorrect.
- Explain on your paper the relationship between QE and QE'. (Think: How does distance relate to scale factor for the pre-image and image?)