Example: Simplify EQ First
Juan has no more than $50 to spend at the mall. He wants to buy a pair of jeans and some juice. If the sales tax on the jeans is 4% and the juice with tax costs $2, what is the maximum price of jeans Juan can afford?
- Read the problem statement carefully.
- Reread the scenario and make a list of the known quantities.
- Read the statement again, identifying the unknown quantity or variable.
- Create expressions and inequalities from the known quantities and variable(s).
- Solve the resulting inequality.
- Interpret the solution of the inequality in terms of the context of the problem.