Adding and Subtracting Fractions on a Number Line
- Anthony Dove
The app below will allow you to add and subtract proper fractions that have a common denominator of 20 or less.
- Select whether you wish to complete addition or subtraction.
- Enter your two fractions. You can use the "Tab" key to move from one input box to the next.
- Slide the "Common Denominator" to a common denominator of the two fractions. Note: This will work for any common denominator of 20 or less!
- If needed, convert each fraction to its equivalent fraction with the common denominator.
- On the number line, slide the blue point to the first fraction.
- Slide the red point until the value above the red arrow is equivalent to your second fraction.
- Use the number line to help you appropriately write in the solution of your sum/difference.