- Walch Education
Alex coaches basketball, and wants to know if there is a relationship between height and free throw shooting percentage. Free throw shooting percentage is the number of free throw shots completed divided by the number of free throw shots attempted, multiplied by 100: He takes some notes on the players in his team, and records his results in the following table. What is the correlation between height and free throw shooting percentage? Alex looks at his data and decides that increased height causes a reduced free throw shooting percentage. Is he correct?
- Create a scatter plot of the data.
- Analyze the scatter plot, and describe any relationship between the two events.
- Find the correlation coefficient using a graphing calculator.
- Describe the correlation between the two events.
- Consider the causal relationship between the two events.